Saturday, September 4, 2010

Normal is Boring

To my handful of readers:

For reasons that I will discuss in length at a later date (though, let's face it...it's kinda obvious), I have a new blog name. The title comes from my favorite quote by Arlene Storeby, and I first read it on a notecard my mother sent me during a(nother) wacky time in my life. I have sort of leaned on this concept since and it has become one of the mantras in my little world.


I think it's poignant and all too true. We all try to fit in, to be "normal." How much of our energy is dedicated to this facade? Instead, we should give up on our attempts to do this and instead relish and enjoy life as ourselves--mask free. I have fully embraced the fact that I am a "crazy person"* and it's pretty freeing. I am who I am and have stopped apologizing for it, or trying to cover it up. This does not mean I have permission to be a jerk, mean, inconsiderate, rude or belligerent in the name of "being myself." (These tend not to be traits of mine, anyway). What I mean is that I am going to come to terms with the little quirks and oddities that make up the DNA of my personality and love myself because of them, not despite them. And so should you. About me, others, strangers, yourself.


*I of course mean no disrespect to those individuals and their families living with legitimate mental illnesses. As someone who graduated with a psychology degree and who tends to root for the underserved in our world, I don't mean "crazy" to be the technical term for chemical imbalances and other mental disorders.

No comments:

Post a Comment